Soup is great for lunch or dinner. Sometimes you may feel that soup is not enough or you need something a little more solid in your life. It is a no brainer, sandwiches are the answer – they are after all soups soul mate.
Soup is fantastic by itself, but pair that bad boy with a sandwich and BAM you have one wicked meal. There are never ending flavours of soups and endless possibilities of sandwiches. Your lunch or dinner will never be boring again when you team the two classics up.
@saltpepperxyz has never been so right.
Also check out these terrific soup + sand combos:
- 10 perfect soup and sandwich pairings via relish
- 10 of the best soup and sandwich pairings via cheatsheet
- Our best soup and sandwich combos via Saveur
The Classic Pairing. Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese
This infographic truly captures the essence of the true purpose of tomato soup – to accompany grilled cheese. Till death due them part.
This gif is so satisfying, it’s beyond belief. Now imagine dunking that grilled cheese in tomato soup! Nothing will every be so perfect. Take it from @WaschBehr and @m_as_in_mya
Castilian Garlic Soup
1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) olive oil
Six thin slices day-old rustic white bread (about 6 oz./170 g)
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. finely chopped yellow onion
1 heaping tsp. pimentón (Spanish smoked pepper)
6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l) boiling water
1 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves minced
Fine sea salt
- Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 1. In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Working in batches as necessary, add the bread slices in a single layer and fry, turning once, until golden brown. Using tongs, transfer to a flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish, arranging them in a single layer.
- Pour off most of the oil from the fry pan and return it to medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the pimentón and stir once or twice. Pour the contents of the pan over the bread.
- Place the casserole dish over low heat and add the boiling water and parsley. Increase the heat to medium and return to a boil, stirring once or twice, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into the soup, sprinkling a little salt on each one. Transfer the dish to the oven and bake until the eggs are just cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve piping hot.
It is without a doubt that Sandwiches are Soups soul mate…