Summer is fast approaching and the heat will be increasing. Soon you will be overheating and trying to figure out a way to cool down. And although lemonade is refreshing it is not for everyone. I got two words for you – cold soup.
Summer’s Coolest Meal via Charles Pierce
“A steaming bowl of soup can be a big turn-off when the temperature starts to climb, but chilled soups are a different story altogether. Cool, refreshing, colourful, and loaded with seasonal fruits and veggies, they’re a perfect way to beat the heat.”
Charles Pierce provides a fantastic cold soup recipe that will be sure to cool you down. I know one thing for sure this soup makes me extremely excited for Summer!
- 1 large cantaloupe (about 3 lb.)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus small sprigs for garnish, optional
1. Halve melon, scoop out seeds and remove rind. Cut flesh into large chunks. (You should have about 6 cups.)
2. Working in batches if necessary, combine cantaloupe, honey and orange juice in a blender. Pulse or blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
3. Just before serving, briskly whisk soup and stir in mint. Serve very cold, garnished with sprigs of mint, if desired.
-This is one thing you won’t have to worry about when you create cold soups this Summer because your soup is meant to be cold. 🙂
Who wouldn’t want to eat cold soup on a hot Summer day? I mean just look at @food24 chilled beetroot & herb soup with goat cheese! Look really refreshing.
Feeling a little more sweet than savoury? Chilled soup can come in both forms. Look at @doodleplix lovely tweet of chilled strawberry lime soup, how one not want to eat that?
-Now the market for chilled soup isn’t as huge as canned or hot soup but since 2011 it is growing fast. This is one bandwagon I am willing to jump on.
So jump on that bandwagon! Here are some blogs with fantastic Cold Soup Recipes:
- Healthy Cold Soup Recipes via Eating Well
- Cold Soup Recipes via Allrecipes
- Blender to Bowl: Chilled Summer Soup Recipes via Martha Stewart